West Virginia Hills by Jeff Ellis

Monday, April 26, 2010

Jackson County, West Virginia


Major Highways

Interstate 77
U.S. Highway 33
West Virginia Route 2
West Virginia Route 34
West Virginia Route 62
West Virginia Route 68
West Virginia Route 87


Jackson County, West Virginia is my home. This is where I grew up, on the Ohio River in the small town of Ravenswood. Like many young people, when I lived here I couldn't wait to leave. When I moved away, I couldn't wait to move back. While I was away, there was always a sense that this was my home, this is where my roots attach me to the earth. I missed the Ohio River, and the Mid-Ohio Valley. I missed the rolling hills and the mountains. I missed the friendliness of the people. I missed everything about this place.

After being away for nearly twenty-five years I moved back home to Ravenswood, where I live in a house that sits at the river's edge. From my front deck I have an unobstructed view of the river in both directions, and on the opposite bank is a beautiful view of the wooded hills in rural Meigs County, Ohio.

Immediately I set about exploring the area surrounding Ravenswood, and seeing again those places I used to go when I was a kid. I expanded my explorations to include all of Jackson County by taking drives along the many country roads crisscrossing the county. Here I see the beauty of this place that I missed so much. My soul feels at peace in this place, and I absorb the beauty, the sights, sounds, and smells of all that I find here, all that I have forgotten over the years, and know that finally I am home.


No comments:

Post a Comment